Matrox Monarch HD
Professional video streaming and recording appliance
Matrox Monarch HD is a small, easy-to-use video streaming and recording appliance designed for professional video producers who need to simultaneously stream a live event and record the master quality version for post-event editing. By separating the task of recording from streaming in a single integrated unit, Matrox Monarch HD ensures that the Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) are focused on delivering quality video to your audience while you control the quality of the archive.
From any HDMI input source such as a camera or switcher, Matrox Monarch HD generates an H.264-encoded stream compliant with RTSP or RTMP protocols. While encoding the video at bitrates suitable for live streaming, Matrox Monarch HD simultaneously records a high-quality MP4 file to an SD card, a USB drive, or a network-mapped drive. Matrox Monarch HD is remotely controlled using any computer or mobile device with a web browser.
Record master quality video while streaming
If an event is worth streaming, it is worth recording at the highest possible quality. The better the recording quality, the more value it offers a post event produced asset. These assets can be made available to your audience as fast turnaround VOD files or as fully post produced highlight reels.
The quality of your recording should not be affected by your upload bandwidth. Matrox Monarch HD lets you set recording bitrates as high as 30 Mbps while simultaneously streaming at up to 20 Mbps.
Matrox Monarch HD injects the highest quality video into every bit regardless of input source or target bitrate. Combining the power of the built-in H.264 encoder with Matrox’s high quality deinterlacing and scaling engines guarantees stunning results.
Ready to edit and upload with MP4
Matrox Monarch HD records high quality H.264 video as MP4 files, which offer maximum versatility for all applications. Upload a file to your own web server or to a Content Delivery Network (CDN) like YouTube. Alternatively, you can directly import the file into most creation tools without the need for file transcoding.
Connect with HDMI
The HDMI output of the Matrox Monarch HD makes it easy to monitor what you are streaming and recording, regardless of whether the signal is received from a camera, a switcher, a signal convertor, or a computer. Eight channels of embedded audio can be processed and output. Two channels of audio input with loopout are also available via 1/8” stereo jacks.
Powerful and robust, Matrox Monarch HD offers simple, one touch stream and record pushbuttons, low power consumption, a locking power connector, and a fanless design. Its design allows it to be just as easily located on a desktop as in a rack–up to three units can fit in a single 1RU tray. The software is built upon a secure embedded Linux O/S so there is zero risk of automatic updates or unscheduled exchanges with third party servers.
Easily reach your audience
Whether you’re providing live content to Flash or Wowza servers, or to any of the popular CDNs, Matrox Monarch HD’s flexible streaming internet protocols’ support is up to task. Its useful encoding presets let you select the most appropriate resolution based on the available bandwidth. The target encoding streaming parameters only need to be entered once and saved as a unique profile. Multiple profiles can be saved if the device is used in different environments. Each profile can be loaded instantly without having to reenter data.
Record to anything
Matrox Monarch HD lets you select from a variety of recording media types. Use a USB key or drive when portability is important. A SD card might be your best option when a more secure and compact solution is required. Alternately, a system drive on a computer found on the network may prove extremely useful if multiple individuals need to access the footage.
Regardless of where you store the footage, the record controls can be executed without affecting the streaming operations. High quality files are available anytime during the streaming session for creating complementary video assets.
Remote Command and Control
A simple web page is all that is needed to harness the power of Matrox Monarch HD. You can control and configure the appliance using any device on your network that supports a standard web browsing application. A preview of the main IP broadcast stream is embedded in the control web page.
A single Matrox Monarch HD device can act as a master to multiple slave devices. From a single web page, you can simultaneously start the recording and/or streaming of up to four Matrox Monarch HD devices.
- Video Input: HDMI*
- *Video Input Format is Auto-Detected
- Video Input Resolutions:
- 1920x1080 @ 60/59.94/50/30/29.97/25/24/23.98 fps
- 1280x720@ 60/59.94/50 fps
- 1920x1080i 29.97/25 fps
- Video Input Format is Auto-Detected
- Video Output: HDMI
- Video Output Resolutions: Preview output of video input signal
- Audio Input: Processes first two channels of audio embedded in HDMI input signal. Unbalanced analog stereo input via 1/8” (3.5mm) jack. Line Level
- Audio Output: Passthrough of all embedded audio channels in HDMI signal. Unbalanced analog stereo output via 1/8” (3.5mm) jack – passthrough of input. Line Level
- Confidence Preview: 1x HDMI
- Maximum resolution: 1920x1080
- Color Space and Chroma Sub-Sampling: 4:2:0 (8-bit)
- Video Scaling: High Quality multi-tap 10 bit Down Scaler and De-Interlacer
- Available for both streaming and recording operations
- Audio Encoding Format: AAC-LC
- Audio Sampling Frequency: 32 kHz
- 44.1 kHz
- 48 kHz
- Audio Bitrates: Range from 32 kbps to 256 kbps
- Video Encoding Formats: H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC)
- Encoding Profiles: Baseline (BP)
- Main (MP)
- High (HiP)
- Encoder Bitrates Range:
- Record Only Mode: 100 kbps to 30 Mbps
- Stream Only Mode: 100 kbps to 20 Mbps
- Independent Stream and Record Mode*:
- Recording: 100 kbps - 30 Mbps
- Streaming: 100 kbps - 10 Mbps
- Maximum combined total bitrate of 30 Mbps
- *Note that when both streaming and recording resolutions are above 1280x720, the encode parameters must be identical for both processes. Completely Independent recording and streaming settings are available when either the streaming or the recording resolution is 1280x720 or below.
- Encoding Rate Control:
- Average max/min data rate controls
- Deblocking Filter
- Selectable frame rates
- GOP Size
- Variable bitrate support
- Encoding Level: Up to 4.2
- File Format: Industry Standard MP4 and MOV files with two channels of embedded AAC audio.
- Recording Locations:
- 2x USB 2.0*
- 1x SD card slot**
- Network mapped drive***
- * Support for NTFS (3.1) and FAT32 file system. The Monarch HD will support writing to USB3 devices at USB2 speeds. Also note, there is a very high variability in the performance capabilities of “thumb” drives (even USB3 versions). Many are optimized for “read” operations while the Monarch HD requires sustained “write” capabilities. For best results, Matrox recommends using powered USB drives. If small portable media is required, SD cards may be more suitable.
- ** Supports SD and SDHC cards. Only NTFS formatted SDXC cards are supported. (Class 10 highly recommended).
- *** Support for writing to shared folders in computers found on a network using Windows Share protocols (suitable for Windows system) as well as NFS protocols (suitable for Mac and Linux systems).
- Recording Lengths: Maximum file length of 300 minutes—irrespective of storage type used. File splitting feature allows a user to record continuously for long periods by defining file segment sizes. The Monarch appliance will create these sequential file segments over the course of the recording operation without losing a single frame of video. File segment can have a length of 1 to 300 minutes.
- Full Frame Rate:Encode frame rates selection includes;
- 60/50, 30/25/24 and 15/12.5
- Note that the maximum encode frame rate is 30 fps when encode resolution is 1920x1080
- Network Standard: RJ45 providing 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet with Static or DHCP addressing
- IP Addressing: IPv4
- DHCP (default) and static IP
- Streaming Protocols: RTMP, RTSP/RTP
- Unicast and Multi Unicast (number of clients may vary from 3 to 10)
- Command and Control: HTTPS over TCP
- UPnP (discovery)
- Product Dimensions:
- 5.60 (L) x 4.40 (W) x 1.22 (H) inches
- 14.2 (L) x 11.2 (W) x 3.1 (H) centimeters
- Unit Weight: 0.66 lbs / 300 g
- Cooling: Fanless
- Power Supply Unit:
- Line Voltage: 100-240 V a.c., 0.5A
- Frequency: 50-60 Hz
- Input: External AC/DC adapter - IEC320-C8
- DIN4 Locking Power Connector
- Power-supply Safety:
- -cULus (Canada/US)
- -CE (EU)
- -CCC (China)
- -RCM (Au/Nz)
- -EAC (Russia / Customs Union)
- -PSE (Japan)
- -KCC (Korea)
- Operating Conditions: Temperature: 0 to 45 degrees Celsius
- Altitude: 650 hPa (3,580 m) to 1,013 hPa (0 m)
- Humidity: 20% to 80% non-condensing
- Storage Conditions: Temperature: -40 to 70 degrees Celsius
- Altitude: 192 hPa (12,000 m) to 1,020 hPa (-50 m)
- Humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Power Consumption: Input: 9-24 volts
- Total Power Consumption: 20-30 watts (42 max)
- Supported Operating Systems (software):
- Mac OSX EL Capitan
- Windows 10 (64 bit)
- EMC/EMI Device Class: Class B
- EMC/EMI Certifications:
- CE (EU)
- FCC (US)
- ICES-3 (Canada)
- KC (Korea)
- RCM (Aus/NZ)
- Environmental Certifications: RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU amended by (EU) 2015/863
- Warranty: Two-year limited warranty with free online or telephone support